Chiropractic care is an extremely safe way to promote comfort and minimise back pain during pregnancy. We use gentle, hands-on techniques to help balance the pelvis and womb, and use special pillows to make your treatment more comfortable (you can lie on your front – bliss!).
Exercise is great to do while pregnant but how you sit, stand and move throughout the day is just as important and can help you feel more comfortable and help the baby position well in the pelvis.
Here are some great tips, from one of my favourite resources, spinningbabies.com, to help your posture.
DO TRY TO:
- Sit with your hips higher than your knees
- Sit with your back straight and your rib cage lifted off your middle, without over arching
- Sit on a firm exercise ball that allows your hips to be level with your knees or higher than your knees
- Lie with your navel aiming towards the bed, floor or couch/ sofa, if not directly on your bump, then so that eventually an imagined light-beam coming from your navel would eventually find the floor
- Brief Forward-Leaning Inversions, once a day
- Squat or supported squatting with your back flat against the wall and your knees bent (work gradually up to where you can squat with your feet flat on the floor for 2-5 minutes)
- Holding your shoulders back, yet relaxed, while you walk briskly
- Lie on both sides, but preferably the left
There are also a few ways of holding yourself which you should avoid if possible.
TRY TO AVOID:
- Lying flat on your back
- Sitting curled up in a chair, with your naval facing upwards
- Staying in one position for too long
Try to follow this advice when possible, especially if you sit at a desk all day and hopefully you will feel the benefit!
If you’re still feeling sore, you know where to find me!